Monday, June 6, 2011

Purple Martins and the fledgling sparrow

Today is DDay. June 6, 1944 perhaps one of the most significant days in our history. God bless those who were left in graves on Normandy. Friday June 3rd was a day worth recalling. In my driveway that day I noticed a speckled shell, half open and the pinky flesh of a baby bird. I stood for a moment mersmerized by the hairless, eyeless creatures, struggling , stretching, laboring to be born, to break free its shell. At fist glimpse I was unsure of what I was seeing. I'd had seen assassin bugs on the drive, huge nasty-looking creatures and thought this one of them. I stopped myself from stomping on the thing I thought was a bug. I'm glad I did. In a split second I realized that this was not a bug but a bird, or rather a bird in a shell.
Rather than interfere with the bird and knowng that its age there was little I could do, I left it to its fate.
The next day June 4th Saturday morning I looked and there was that tiny bird still trying to crack out of its shell... the creature had been there 24 hours and was still fighting for its life.

Now to back up and prepare to tell the rest of the story. Our mail box is a large metal contraption. The upper part, polished brass for mail, the lower level is a slot where the newpaper would normally be placed. About a month or less ago, we stopped subscribing to the local paper. Several weeks after that I noticed hay, grass and other materials pushed to the back of the storage area under the mail box. I knew birds had made a nest there, but not what kind. Later in the day, the grass and hay were back, the rebuilding had begun again, this time with my knowledge and approval.

As it happens we have been visited by one of the more private and reclusive birds: purple Martins. Purple Martins are known to build their nests high. Many people in this area have long poles with bird houses on them. Martins seek these out. Martins avoid lower nests, will not nest near a tree and are very selective. All of which I didn't know before discovering the nest. Since then I've learned a great deal about purple marins. It is said that once Martins build a nest they return to it year after year. Not only that but they return on a schedule. almost the same day each year. I also leanred that Martins will not harbor or nurse other birds.

Well back on my Saturday time line. I picked up the fledgling, though it wasn't even to that point, and held it in my hand. The bird, moved attempting to shake the shell off itself. Knowing I could do nothing for the bird and unaware of what species it was I thought- the nest of Marins is six feert away. I'll put it there. Several hours later, after the mail came, I looked on the ground and the shell and bird had been evicted from the nest.

I picked up the bird again and my wife got her bird book out. It seems our little fellow was a sparrow.. a very common bird in this area. I still couldn't decide waht to do. Obviously at some point I had to put the little bird somewhere and hope for the best.
After holding the little bird for an hour and taking some moving film, I put it back in the newspaper slot where the Martins have their nest. I made sure to put it as far back as I could. Several times over the last few days I have checked, the sparrow and its shell were no where to be found and I presumed the Martins have adopted it. I hope though as I mentioned Martins are not knownt to adopt other species. What happened to the little guy I cannot say but I can comment on what I have discovered about the amazing Martins.

First these Martins should not be living under my mail box which is only 4-5 feet off the ground. Second Martins are rare and brave. Whenever I go to the mail box the Martins flee the nest, landing as close as possible and constantly keeping an eye on me. As I open the mail box, the Martins begin diving toward me, emitting a scream. The Martin is a small bird, with wings that remind me of a Stealth Bomber. The wings are short and have an aerodynamic angle to their edges. Thus the Martin is able to swoop and dive at full speed. Not that they frighten me, but it does get to be an annoyance to simply try to get the mail. The Martins pitch a fit, will not fly off and abandon the nest. Instead they remain steafast and bold, swooping and screaching.

Have the Martin's adopted the sparrow? I can't say. I hope so. And finally one last interesting but unrelated comments. As I said whenever I go to our mail I lightly tap the mail box, alerting the Martins to flee. Notice dear read the next time you see a police car stop a driver that the police will always touch either the back fender of back door of the car stopped-in as they approach the driver. They does thise in order to leave finger prints, marking the car just in case. Irrelevant to purple Martins and Sparrows but interesting none the less.

Stay tuned. We will try to download the film of the sparrow in its shell.


No comments:

Post a Comment