Thursday, October 29, 2009

It takes an effort, a substantial, engrossing energy to write and often I'd rather not for fear of having nothing to say and doing that. One may go for the fable, wrapped in myth, showered by poetic images, add heroes, horses, houses rising and falling. Then, there's the real problem- what the heck to say, how to say it, say it, revise it and put it out for show. I can start with something I now realize: not being able to write in cursive is an obstacle to composition for many people. . Instruction in cursive emphasized sentences. capitals, periods, and in so doing was an important element in better writing. I noticed over the years that the failure to organize sentences and use of capitals became more and more obvious, wide-spread and were worth the time to consider what factors were at work. The experts had written off handwriting instruction because of spelling and grammar checks in word programs. The lock and key effect characterizes handwriting in that composing by hand gave one practice in the use of capitals, periods and other mechanics. Looking back it was just those kinds of errors that made high school compositions so poor.
Granted, handwriting in and of itself isn't the whole truth, but is links up very nicely. But, one may offer that many people are currently writing online who never really wrote anything out long-hand. I don't think we did the best for students by not teaching handwriting. So what, some may say. And they are probably more correct than I am. Readers and writers are all usually self-taught. Thus the more you know about the language, the better you write and read.

I feel lucky to have been a teacher. As jobs go, it was a very rewarding profession. Most of my remembrances are pleasant and many of the things I taught were a great education for me. To write, one must write; those who can't, don't; and many of those who can, don't. It's such a difficult task to say something, to tell a story, relate an experience, thus when a person who hasn't learned to write, to think of things in organized ways is faced with the task; he cringes.

Having had nothing to say this evening, I feel satisfied with what I have written, for I didn't have a specific goal in mind, a fixed method of delivery. All I can say is I expressed an opinion that has little support in modern education. There are few fixed laws about language and its use. This area interests me and I often give time to considering how people communicate. Too tired to bore, any more. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment